Sunday, July 26, 2009

Thing #15

In his article, Into a New World of Librarianship, Michael Stephens states, “This librarian bases all planning and proposals for services, materials and outreach on user needs and wants.” “This librarian understands that the future of libraries will be guided by how users access, consume and create content.”

That is the most important aspect when thinking about the concept of Library 2.0. A library gives the users what they need and want. Users want and need to access, consume, and create information from anywhere they choose. This is where Library 2.0 becomes vital.

I think the prospect of technology and its use in libraries is exciting and convenient. There is so much more that can be accessed by so many more people.

However, I still love books and a quiet, comfy place to read. I want to see technology continue to emerge and grow in libraries, but not replace everything. I still want the joy I get from opening a new book, and I hope future generations will also experience that joy and value it.

1 comment:

  1. Brooke,

    Stephens' article is very interesting and to the point. What really caught my attention was your comment about technology providing much more access to information resources and wanting it to continue growing in libraries, but not to replace everything.
    I couldn't agree with you more. I really enjoy technology and love to see it everywhere. But I don't think I could enjoy it if everything was on computers. Sometimes I just want to spend some time away from everything that requires power working on a puzzle or reading a book

    ReplyDelete